Lyon Air Museum opened in 2009 on the west side of John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California. Founded by Major General William Lyon, the museum exhibit is comprised of some of the rarest operational aircraft and vehicles in the world and related memorabilia. Docent led tours take visitors for a walk through history as they stroll among the machines and artifacts from the defining event of the 20th century – World War II.
The Bay Lights is the world’s largest LED light sculpture, 1.8 miles wide and 500 feet high. Inspired by the Bay Bridge’s 75th Anniversary, artist Leo Villareal creates a never repeating, dazzling display of 25,0000 LED white lights. This iconic light sculpture shines from dusk until dawn on the San Francisco Bay Bridge west span from March 5, 2013 through March 2015. In collaboration with the State of California, a long-term proposal will bring the installation back in early 2016 and will remain forever brilliant.
The Westin Bonaventure Hotel and Suites is a 367-foot (112 m), 35-story hotel in Los Angeles, California, constructed between 1974 and 1976. Designed by architect John C. Portman, Jr., it is the largest hotel in the city. The top floor has a revolving restaurant and bar. Encompassing an entire city block in the heart of Los Angeles, the hotel has 1,358 guest rooms and suites and a signature six-story atrium lobby.
The Anderson Street Water Tower rises 87 feet into the air from a 35 square foot lot just off PCH in Sunset Beach. It was built in the late 1800s to service the steam trains that ran from Los Angeles to San Diego. It was rebuilt in the 1940s with a capacity of 75,000 gallons and was used for the area’s water system until 1975. When it was in danger of being demolished in the 1980s, local architects stepped in, got permits and converted it into a 3-story, 2,800 sq. ft. home. It is now available for events and vaction rental at about $5000/week. Real estate info with interior pictures.
This graceful Stick Style Victorian building in San Pedro, CA, is surrounded by colorful flower gardens. Designed by Paul J. Pelz, a draftsman for the US Lighthouse Board, it is one to the oldest lighthouses on the west coast. It was built in 1874 with lumber from California redwoods and served as an aid to safe passage between the Channel Islands and into the harbor for nearly one hundred years. The land for the lighthouse was donated by Jose Diego Sepulveda. Website
Westfield Horton Plaza is an outdoor, five-level mall, located on six and a half city blocks, next to the Historic Gaslamp Quarter in the center of San Diego. It features some of the most unique architecture you will ever see in a shopping center. Horton Plaza jump-started the Gaslamp renaissance when it opened in August 1985. It was designed by Jon Jerde, named for the founder of San Diego Alonzo Horton and was developed by the Hahn Company.
The Pioneer Church, Los Angeles Cultural Historical Monument No. 14, was built in 1903 with volunteer labor. The congregation served the entire northwest San Fernando Valley until the 1950s. Originally located at 10051 Topanga Canyon Boulevard, it was scheduled to be demolished in 1963. The Chatsworth Historical Society worked with Oakwood Memorial Park to move the building in January 1965 to the northwest corner of Oakwood Memorial Park, 22601 Lassen Street, Chatsworth, the first City Monument to be moved. Roy Rogers and Dale Evans Rogers were patrons of the CHS and assisted financially in the moving of the church. It was refurbished and rededicated in 1976 as part of the community’s Bicentennial Celebration. Since November 15, 1981, the building has been occupied by the congregation of St. Mary the Virgin Anglican-Rite Catholic Church.
Statue of Richard Henry Dana Jr. in Dana Point Harbor, Dana Point, California. Dana (1815–1882) gained renown as the author of the American classic, Two Years Before the Mast, which included a description of the area now known as Dana Point. In 1834, he sailed from Boston aboard the brig Pilgrim to Alta California. This voyage brought Dana to a number of settlements in California including Monterey, San Pedro, San Juan Capistrano, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara and San Francisco.
The Woelke-Stoffel House, in Founders’ Park at 400 North West Street in Anaheim, CA, is a two-story Queen Anne built by John Woelke in 1894 during Anaheim’s citrus era. In 1907 it was purchased by Peter Stoffel, Jr. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in July 2013. Website
World War Two (WWII) Submarine Memorial – West at the Naval Weapons Station Seal Beach. Dedicated in 1977, this memorial pays tribute to the over 3,000 submariners who never returned from the War. The memorial includes plaques for each of the 52 U.S. submarines lost in that conflict, as well as additional plaques representing submarines lost in accidents during the Cold War. Website